• You Are Here:
  • Home
  • Fixtures & Results - 2010

Fixtures & Results 2010 - UIFC

14 Nov 2010
Rasharkin 0-09 v 2-12 Lisnaskea

Rasharkin bow out of Ulster but can hold their heads up


Two timely goals from Fermanagh Champions in each half of this fixture ended St.Mary’s Rasharkin’s run in the Ulster Club Championship. Lisnaskea’s first goal came after twenty minutes of the first half to give them a much needed kick start, their second came at the same time in the second half to crush St.Mary’s fight back.  


This was the twenty sixth game of a long successful season for the Antrim Champions with much to be proud of. The journey began on 18th January when Paddy McNeill called the first training session, from then there were many battles and victories along the road with rewrote the history books. Lisnaskea Emmetts finally ending the season in Omagh ten months later in the penultimate game of the Intermediate Ulster Club Championship.


This would be the first time these teams met in any competition so it was new ground for both clubs, Rasharkin qualified for this fixture having dispatched Derry Champions Castledawson two weeks previous. Their Fermanagh counterparts had some what a different approach having won their County Intermediate Championship easily they beat Down Champions Tullylish by seven points to qualify them for this semi final spot. They are fresh out after beating Fermanagh Senior Champions Rosslea in a Division one semi final playoff.


The very impressive centre of excellence that is Healy Park Omagh provided the setting for this fixture which was the main game following the Junior Club Championship clash between Swanlinbar (Co.Cavan) and Drumaness (Co.Down). However, the playing conditions were greatly hampered due to the dense freezing fog right throughout the pitch. Seamus McGonigle (Co.Donegal) was in charge of proceedings which started right on the stroke of 2.30pm.


Rasharkin’s top scorer this season Eamon McNeill started the scoring on the third minute from a twenty five yard strike. Decky McKay slotted over a free after six before Lisnaskea opened their account through Mark Little on nine minutes. The Dreen men then took over, winning around the middle and scoring three unanswered points, two from the boot of McNeill and one from Decky McKay all from the set ball as Rasharkin punished the Fermanagh Champions indiscipline.


Ace Lisnaskea forward Daniel Kille and Rasharkin sharpshooter Eamon McNeill exchanged points midway through the half as St.Mary’s found themselves off to another dream start leading 0-6 to 0-2 after eighteen minutes. However, they were soon ousted from the comfort zone following Lisnaskea’s first major of the game on twenty minutes. Wing half forward Mark Little played wing half back Niall McElroy the perfect pass to open the Rasharkin rear guard, McElroy made no mistake one on one with net minder Donal McLarnon. This was the boost the Fermanagh men needed, they then pushed on to clip over two further points from Mark Little to nudge them in front. Sean Hasson sent the teams in at half time all square with a point on thirty one minutes with a scoreline 0-7 to 1-4.


Niall McElroy for Lisnaskea and McNeill again for Rasharkin exchanged points after five minutes of the restart as both sides tried to retain possession. Mark Little cracked over a great individual effort after seven to push the Ernemen in front for the third time. Rasharkin butcher Brendan Etherson carved open the Lisnaskea defence on ten minutes with an impressive run, the top marksman renowned for the odd goal or two was left one on one with Barry McGoldrick, but the Lisnaskea keeper done enough to retain a clean sheet. The Rasharkin pressure did pay off eventually when centre back Duirmuid Quinn’s supporting run ended in the anchor man splitting the posts to level matters on thirteen minutes.


Lisnaskea corner forward Shane Ingram converted a point on sixteen minutes before Adrian Little got in on the scoring to give his side a two point lead. Mark Little then ended the contest after twenty minutes of the second half when he lifted the roof of the Rasharkin net. The same player took his personnel tally to 1-4 two minutes later when he slotted over another point. The Ernemen then added three more from Shane Ingram, Daniel Kille and Paul Curran to end Rasharkin’s dream of a provincial decider.


Rasharkin can come away from this game with their heads held high, Donal McLernon, Thomas Doherty, Aiddy Scullion, Michael Hasson, Sean Hasson, Duirmuid Quinn and Conor Hardy worked hard defence, Paul Doherty put in another massive shift in the middle of the park along with Cathal Mooney. Alan McNeill, Brendan Etherson and Joey Quinn never gave up with Eamon McNeill, Declan McKay and Declan McKay at times, too hard to handle up front.


Congratulations to Lisnaskea Emmetts Manager Peter Clarke and his back room staff who can feel proud of the efforts from Mark McKenna, Niall McElroy, Brian Og Maguire, Conor Curran, Adrian Little, Stephen Carters and Daniel Kille with county star Mark Little pulling off a man of the match performance. Good Luck to them in the next round and also in the Fermanagh Division One League Final against Devenish.


Special thanks go to Rasharkin gaffer Paddy McNeill and his backroom staff Ryan McAleese and Thomas Donaghy. Winning the Division Two All County League and landing the double after capturing the Intermediate Crown for the first time in thirty two years were massive achievements. Success like this doesn’t come without a lot of hard work, dedication and enthusiasm, this panel has proved they are well capable at this level and can now build on this solid foundation.


Rasharkin: Donal McLarnon, Michael Hasson , Adrian Scullion, Thomas Doherty (Capt), Sean Hasson, Duirmuid Quinn, Conor Hardy, Paul Doherty and Cathal Mooney, Eamon McNeill, Alan McNeill, Brendan Etherson, Declan McKay, Johnny McAleese and Joey Quinn.


Subs: Brendan McMullan for Joey Quinn, Peader McMullan for Thomas Doherty, Damian McGaughey for Conor Hardy, Raymond O’Boyle for Brendan Etherson and Conor Hasson for Michael Hasson.


Lisnaskea: Barry McGoldrick, Mark Smyth, Pearse Collins, Kevin Curran, John Woods, Mark McKenna, Niall McElroy, Brian Og Maguire (Capt), Connor Curran, Adrian Little, Stephen Carters, Mark Little, Shane Ingram, Paul Curran and Daniel Kille.


Subs: Darren Graham for John Woods, Stephen Phair for Mark Smyth and Colm Moane for Mark Little.


Referee: Seamus McGonigle (Dún na nGall)


Well Done to everyone involved with the team this year, Paddy McNeill, Ryan McAleese and Thomas Donaghy, the full panel of players, the linesmen, the umpires, the physio’s, Eanus Quinn for his first aid, Joe Dalrymple for his video coverage, the jersey washers, the wives and girlfriends and most importantly our faithful supporters.

Hope to see and hear you all next season!a