• You Are Here:
  • Home
  • Fixtures & Results - 2011

Fixtures & Results 2011 - SFC

7 Aug 2011
Rasharkin 0-03 v 0-19 Cargin

Rasharkin dumped out in Preliminary Round


Rasharkin’s senior footballers were on the receiving end of what can only be described as a relentless thrashing in Kickhams Creggan against last year’s finalist Erins Own Cargin. This was the fourth meeting of these sides this season, the Toome men coming from behind in both league encounters to claim all four league points available. The Dreen Men, however, bagged the South West Championship for the first time in twenty nine years when they collected the O’Cahan Cup, beating Cargin in the final by eight points.


The Cargin side did enter this fixture with the favourites tag well attached but St.Mary’s having made great strides on their return to top flight this season were expected to give Erins Own a run for their money.


Ciaran Close opened Cargin’s account after six minutes before Feargal Johnston doubled their lead a minute later. Eamon McNeill replied for St.Mary’s when he slotted over a thirty yard free on eight minutes.  Cargin’s Gerard O’Boyle and Rasharkin’s Johnny McAleese traded points after eleven and twelve minutes before Eamon McNeill took the tie all square when he cracked over another free on fourteen minutes.  The opening fifteen minutes was tense and exciting as both sides got to grips with the tie, however, it would be the Toome side who would take full advantage when they helped themselves to three points in the following three minutes, two from the boot of Gerard O’Boyle and an impressive individual effort from Ciaran Close pushed Erins Own into a three point lead.


After twenty one minutes Rasharkin were dealt a major blow when they were reduced to fourteen men with Cahair O’Kane sent for an early shower following two yellow cards and subsequent red. This spurred on the Lough shore side who turned the screw in the lead up to half time, Tomas McCann opened his account on twenty six minutes as Gerard O’Boyle got the last score of the half on twenty eight to leave Rasharkin trailing by five points at the half time interval. 


St Mary’s needed a kick start in the second half to have any chance of pulling back arrears; unfortunately this was not to happen as Cargin opened up a full attack. Tomas McCann nipped over after two minutes before Close converted a free on seven minutes. The roving Cargin corner back Donagh McKeever got his name on the score sheet after nine minutes and when Gerard O’Boyle launched two points after ten and eleven minutes, Rasharkin were on the ropes.


Two further points each from Ciaran Close, Gerard O’Boyle and Tomas McCann in the last quarter left Rasharkin longing for the final whistle. St Marys had a complete collapse after fifteen minutes of the first half and remarkably failed to make any impact on the score board from the fourteenth minute of the first half.


Erins Own Cargin progress to the quarter final where they face Hannastown side Lamh Dhearg while St Marys will now have to concentrate on improving their league position and put this fixture behind them.


Rasharkin: Donal McLernon, Cahir O’Kane, Sean Hasson, Michael Hasson, Conor Hasson, Duirmuid Quinn, Thomas Doherty, Paul Doherty (Capt) and Cathal Mooney, Brendan Etherson, Declan McKay, Ryan Lynch, Eamon McNeill, Johnny McAleese and Alan McNeill.


Subs used: Joey Quinn, Brendan McMullan, Jarleth Mooney, Philip Quinn and Ryan Doherty.


Cargin: John McNabb, Eoin O’Neill, Gerard McCann, Donagh McKeever, Tony Scullion (Capt), Justin Crozier, John Carron , Mick McCann and James Laverty, Thomas McCann, Paul McCann, Enda McGroggan, Ciaran Close, Gerard O’Boyle and Fearghal Johnston.


Referee: Gregory Walsh (St.Mary’s Aghagallon)